Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bloggy Blog Blog Survivor!

The Wife knows something about me: I blog best about reality TV/ I'm not sure why, I like fictional TV just fine, but when I blog about it, it's shite.

The point of all this is that my blogging plan is as follows: twice a week for Survivor and The Amazing Race. Good old fashioned reality TV. Normal people acting ridiculous on TV because they're put in ridiculous situations. Not because they're ridiculous people -that's an important distinction, but I just came up with it, so I'm not going to expand on the idea... yet.

Anyway, on with the show; Since this is the first time I've blogged about Survivor this season, I'll give a quick overview. This season the survivors were split into two teams, one team of people over 40 and one team of people 30 and under... which confirms my theory that people in their 30's don't exist... this is the most likely explanation for why I've patiently awaited my birthday for three years, only to find that it never comes. The good news is that I only have 7 more years of this, then I'll magically be 40 and worthwhile.

So one the one side, you've got "Espada"... which does not -apparently- mean "small shovel" and is full of old people, including beloved NFL coach and Extenze spokesperson, Jimmy Johnson, Jimmy T, who -I think- is the weird old guy that lives across the street from me and spends the majority of his time sitting on his porch smoking, a woman who's profession is listed as "swim coach", and who has made the most dramatic turn from "totally crazy" to "was she the one that was totally crazy?" in Survivor history, and Winny from the Wonder Years.

On the other side, "La flour", which means flower is packed full of vacuous young folks... one of which has a fake leg, and one of which is... well, there's just no good way of saying it, is way 'hood. So 'hood, in fact that she explains the difference between the way she did push down the girl with one leg and smash the tribes newly won bananas -which was 'hood- and the way she would have done it if she were ghetto. I actually feel a little bad writing about it, like I'm aiding the behavior by acknowledging it. It feels a little like what I'd expect it to feel like to write about The Bad Girls Club, which is -in it's existence- painful, and good watchin'.

But what makes Survivor work is the characters that you like. In fact the presence of Naonka (aforementioned girl who pushed down one legged girl) threatens to make this season hard to like. Last night we lost Jim... SPOILER ALERT!!!! Last night we lost Jimmy Johnson, who was a likable -albeit creepy... c'mon, can you get him saying "Go long! With Extenze!" out of your head? I can't... Anyway, Jimmy was an enjoyable presence on this show, a honestly unselfish player who was clearly there for the purpose of pushing his team forward. With his presence, the oldies managed to balance out all the crazy going on in the other tribe.

Now, that being said, it's always tough to like the show as early into the season as we are now. It will take a little time for the likable characters to emerge and for the unlikeable characters to provide context for their off-putting behavior. Right now the strong groups on both teams seem poised to advance the unlikable, but it's far to early to be sure of anything (I hope).

-Until Next Monday, Go long!

No comments:

Post a Comment